Fabrics: Preppy Plaids by Moda Fabrics
All you need is two pieces of fabric to make this simple stocking! Sew one for every member of your family and fill them with fun surprises!
- 2 fat quarters (or two 18x22" pieces of fabric) for stocking and stocking lining
- Stocking pattern (find PDF download below)
- Scrap of lining fabric for hanger
Finished stocking: approximately 7x16"
Assemble the Stocking:
1. Fold lining fat quarter in half lengthwise with right sides (or printed sides) on the outside. Pin the stocking pattern to the stacked fabric. (For tips on pinning and cutting with fabric, see here.)
2. Cut out around the pattern. You will have two stocking lining shapes facing opposite directions.
3. Repeat steps 1-2 with the stocking fat quarter.
4. Layer one stocking and one stocking lining on top of each other with right sides (printed sides) together.
5. Pin the top of the layered stockings together. Sew the top of the stockings using a 1/4" seam allowance. Press seams open with an iron.
6. Repeat steps 4-5 with the other two stocking shapes.
7. Layer the two pairs of stocking sets on top of each other with right sides (printed sides) together. Make sure the two stocking linings are laying on top of each other. Pin together.
8. Sew around the stocking shape using a 1/4" seam allowance. Leave a 4" opening on the lining side. For tips on sewing with curves, see here.
9. Clip notches on the toe curve. This helps prevent bulk. To see how to clip on curves, see here.
10. Turn the stocking right side out through the 4" opening in the lining. Sew the 4" opening closed. We used white thread so you can see the stiches, but you should choose a matching thread. Since the opening was in the lining, those stiches will be inside the stocking and not visible.
11. Push the lining into the stocking; smooth out.
12. Cut your saved scrap of lining fabric to 1-1/2x3". Fold the rectangle in half lengthwise with right sides (printed sides) on the outside and sew the long side. We used white thread so you can see, but you should use a matching thread.
13. Fold the rectangle in half again to form a small loop. Position the loop approximately 2-1/2" from the top on the inside of the stocking on the heel side. Sew the loop in place.
14. You will have a small stich line on the back of your stocking. If you use a matching thread, it won't be too noticeable.
15. Fold the top over and press in place with an iron to give it a crisp finish. The hanging loop will stick out the top.