Reversible Baby Banner
Fabric is from the Celebration collection by Bunny Hill Designs for Moda Fabrics.
This baby banner is not only cute, but also multi-purpose! With coordinating fabric on both sides, you can have a boy banner or a girl banner whenever the occasion arises. Use it as a decoration for a baby shower or to adorn a little one's nursery!
- 12--1/4 yard pieces of assorted fabrics (or 12 fat quarters)
- 2--3-yard packages extra-wide (1/2"), double-fold white bias tape
Finished banner length (end to end): 18 ft.
Cut pieces in the following order. The Scallop Patern is found in a downloadable PDF below.
From each assorted print, cut:
- 4 of Scallop Pattern
Tips for cutting Scallop Pattern:
1. Choose the two fabrics you want opposite each other on one reversible scallop (we chose one boy print and one girl print). Layer them on top of each other. Cut into quarters.
**Why we do this: Theoretically, all your scallop pattern pieces should be the same size. But we know that we can't cut the same way every time! By cutting the two layers for one scallop out at the same time, you'll ensure that both those pieces are the same shape so will sew together easier.
1. Layer two assorted print scallop shapes with right sides together. Pin layers together. (See how to pin here.)
3. Clip seam allownaces along curved edges just up to the stitching line. (Get clipping tips here.)
4. Turn right side out. Press flat to make a scallop.
5. Repeat to make 24 scallops total.
1. Open up one fold of each length of double-fold bias tape.
2. Join bias tape together to make on long piece of tape. (See our tutorial here.)
3. Leaving about 12" of tape free at each end, position scallops atop opened bias tape, leaving about 1" between scallops.
4. Refold bias tape over top edges of scallops; pin.
5, Beginning at one free end of bias tape, stitch to join bias tape edges and to hold scallops in place. Continue stitching to opposite free end of bias tape to complete banner. (We used black thread, so you could see easily. We suggest using a matching thread for a finished look!)