Rainbow Table Runner
Fabrics: Tonga Pinata from Timeless Treasures
Precut fabric strips in a rainbow of colors form a happy and bright table runner!
- 8 -- 2-1/2x42" precut strips
- 16x36" rectangle of batting
- 1/2 yard backing fabric
Finished table runner: 12-1/2x32-1/2"
From each 2-1/2x42" strip, cut:
- 2 -- 2-1/2x12-1/2 strips (save the leftovers for the binding)
From backing fabric, cut:
- 1 -- 16x36" backing rectangle
Assemble the Table Runner:
1. Lay out 2-1/2x12-1/2" strips in a row in your desired color placement. Sew together strips using a 1/4" seam allowance. Press seams in one direction. The pieced table runner top shoud be 12-1/2x32-1/2" including seam allowances.
TIP: Having trouble sewing your strips straight? Watch our video below to get evenly sewed strips!
2. Working on a flat surface, layer backing rectangle, batting, and table runner top. Smooth fabrics flat.
3. Pin layers together every four inches starting at the center and moving out toward edges. Make sure the layers stay smooth.
4. Stitch or quilt table runner as desired, removing pins as you come to them. Our table runner has straight lines quilted 1/4" from each strip intersection.
5. Trim the excess batting and backing fabric, so the quilted piece measures 12-1/2x32-1/2".
6. Join leftover 2-1/2" strips to make one long binding piece (you'll need at least 100" of binding. Fold and press binding in half lengthwise (wrong sides together) to make 1-1/4"-wide double-fold binding strip. Using a 1/4"-seam, sew cut edges of binding strip to outer edges of quilt top, mitering binding at corners. Hand-stitch binding to back of quilt to complete table runner. See step-by-steps and a video on how to bind a project here.