Felt: Camelot Fabrics
Festive felt, embroidery accents, and a pretty pom-pom make up this merry banner. It's a perfect alternative to a Christmas wreath or a cheery addition to a mantel.
Stay tuned! A spring banner is coming in March!
- 12" square green check felt
- 12" square solid green felt
- Scraps of black felt
- Water-soluble marking pen
- White chalk marker
- Fabric glue (such as Aleene's Fabric Fusion)
- Red pearl cotton or embroidery floss
- Red yarn
- 12"-long, 1/2"-diameter wood dowel
- Clover Pom-Pom Maker (optional)
- "MERRY." pattern (download it below)
1. Lay green check felt right side down. Using a water-soluble marking pen, mark the bottom center point and 5-1/4" from the bottom on both edges.
2. Cut from the center point to both marked side points to form a banner shape.
3. Lay solid green felt on a flat working surface. Using a water-soluble marking pen, mark the top edge center point, 1" from the top edge on both sides, and 3-1/2" from the top center point.
4. Cut from the 3-1/2" center point to both marked 1" side points to form top of the banner.
5. Download and print the "MERRY." pattern (found above). Cut out each shape and trace onto black felt using a white chalk marker. Cut out each felt shape (we left the holes in the R's filled in for a modern look).
Assemble the Banner:
1. Using fabric glue, adhere the solid green banner top to the green check banner shape. Adhere the "MERRY." message to the banner center approximately 4-1/2" from the top and 1-1/2" from both side edges. Allow to dry.
2. Using red pearl cotton, sew a long running stitch 1/8" from the bottom edge of the solid green banner top.
4. Cut an 18" length of red yarn. Tie yarn to each end of the wood dowel to make hanger.
5. Using red pearl cotton and sewing through all layers, stitch loops around wood dowel at both top ends and the top center edge of the banner to attach the banner to the hanger.