Fabric: Beach House by Kate Nelligan for Moda Fabrics
Make this coaster in just a few minutes from one square of fabric! The trick is all in how the square is folded before you stitch each seam.
Materials for One Coaster:
- 6-1/2" square fabric
- 4" square batting
Finished coaster: about 4-1/4" square
1. Fold fabric square in half with right side (printed side) together to make a rectangle. Sew across both ends of rectangle using a 1/4" seam.
2. Trim folded corners. Press seams open.
3. Fold in half to line up seam allowances of the open end. Pin in place.
4. Using a 1/4" seam, sew from trimmed corner toward center, stopping about halfway to seam, or about 1-1/2" from center. Repeat sewing from opposite corner to within 1-1/2" of center.
5. Turn sewn piece to right side through 3" opening left unsewn in Step 4. Press flat.
TIP: Use the eraser end of a pencil on the inside of the coaster to gently push corners out.
6. Tuck the batting square inside through opening in seam; smooth batting flat.
7. Hand sew opening in seam closed using a ladder stitch. See the video below for a how-to.
8. Topstitch coaster diagonally in an X using seam lines on back of coaster as a guide. Or, use a washable fabric marker to draw diagonal lines on top side of coaster before topstitching.