Christmas Place Mat
Fabrics: Tole Christmas by Gina Martin for Moda Fabrics
Don't stress this holiday season! This place mat is so quick and easy that you'll easily be able to make a set of four between Christmas shopping and family time!
Materials for One Place Mat:
- 18x21" piece (fat quarter) print for place mat backing
- 9 assorted print 2-1/2x14" strips for place mat top
- 1/4 yard dot or print for place mat binding
- 14x20" piece thin quilt batting
- Quilt basting spray (optional)
- Water-soluble marking pen
Finished place mat: 18x12"
Sew this project with 1/4" seams. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 42" of usable fabric width.
Cut the Fabrics:
From backing fabric, cut:
- 1—14x20" rectangle
From binding fabric, cut:
- 2—2-1/2x42" strips
Assemble and Quilt the Place Mat:
1. Lay backing fabric rectangle on work surface with right side down.
2. Place thin quilt batting piece on top. (If desired, use quilt-basting spray to secure the layers together.)
3. Using water-soluble marking pen, mark a line 2-1/2" from left short edge.
4. Align one print 2-1/2x14" strip, right side up, between the left short edge and the drawn line.
5. Place a second print 2-1/2x14" strip, right side down, atop the first strip.
6. Sew together along one edge through all layers.
TIP: Use a walking foot attachment on your machine during the construction to avoid puckers on the placemat front and back. With a walking foot, all layers of fabric move through machine at the same speed. (See a video of how to use a walking foot here.)
7. Finger-press the top strip open.
8. Continue adding assorted print strips in same manner, one at a time, finger pressing each open, until all nine strips have been added.
9. Finger-press ninth strip open. Press unit flat.
10. Centering strips, trim unit to make an 18x12" place mat top.
11. Machine baste around outer edges of place mat top about 1/8" from cut edges.
To bind and finish the edges of place mat use the 2-1/2x42" binding strips. See instructions to finish the place mat here.
Love this project? Make a pot holder and napkins using matching fabric! Click the pictures for the project instructions.