Tea Towel with Trim
Ribbons: Sue Spargo for Renaissance Ribbons
For a quick hostess gift, add colorful designer ribbons to a store-bought tea towel. Easy-to-use water-soluble basting tape holds ribbons in place while you stitch. This special tape dissolves during the first washing.
- Purchased tea towel (ours is 18x28")
- Coordinating ribbons (we chose two 3/8"-wide ribbons, one 5/8"-wide ribbon, and one 1-1/2"-wide ribbon, each 20" long)
- Water-soluble marking pen
- WashAway Wonder Tape (a water-soluble basting tape by Dritz)
Embellish the Towel:
1. Lay out and audition ribbon arrangement at one end of towel. Using water-soluble marking pen and a ruler, draw placement lines on towel.
2. Remove ribbons from towel and cut each ribbon to measure width of towel plus 1".
3. Turn under one end of one ribbon piece 1/2"; press. Repeat with remaining end of same ribbon piece.
4. Apply a strip of disappearing basting tape (self-adhesive double-sided tape) to back side of Step 3 ribbon piece.
5. Remove protective paper tape from basting tape.
6. Align ribbon on marked bottom placement line. Finger-press in place.
7. Machine-straight-stitch edges of ribbon to towel. (We used contrasting thread to show in photos. Thread that matches ribbon background will be nearly invisible.)
8. Repeat Steps 3–7 with remaining ribbon pieces to complete towel embellishment.