Velvet Heart Ornament
Fabric is from the Spirit Velvet collection by Windham Fabrics.
Design your own heart template and make a one-of-a-kind keepsake. Perfect as an ornament, a pincushion, or a gift, this heart is soft and simple!
- 1- 5x8" rectangle cotton velvet (can use wool or cotton, too)
- 1- 5x8" rectangle scrap piece of paper
- polyester fiberfill
- 6"-3/8"-wide polka dot ribbon
- 1 decorative pin (optional)
Design Your Heart Template
1. Fold scrap piece of paper in half.
2. Starting on the side with the fold, draw a half heart.
3. Leaving paper folded, cut shape out on drawn line to make heart template; open template. This is the final shape of the ornament. If you don’t like the shape, repeat steps 1 and 2 until you are happy with the shape of the heart.
**Alternative: Find a clip art picture of a heart. Enlarge it to your desired siz, print, and cut out.
4. Trace the heart shape on the right-hand side of wrong side of fabric.
5. Fold the fabric in half, right sides together. Place a pin in the middle (out of the seam line) to hold the pieces together.
6. Starting on one side of the heart (NOT at the tip), sew on the drawn line, leaving a 1" opening for turning.
7. Using a sharp, fabric cutting scissors, cut 1/4" outside sewn line.
8. Turn right side out.
9. Use a chopstick or knitting needle to gently push small tufts of fiberfill through 1" opening.
10. Using a needle and matching thread, sew the opening closed.
11. Fold polka dot ribbon in half and hand sew to back side of heart to make ornament. Add the decorative pin to the front for a special touch.