Designer: Alison Gamm
Fabric: Patriotic Minis by Winthur Sempliner for Connecting Threads
This pincushion will be the star of your sewing room! Use patriotic fabrics for a design that causes fireworks.
(This is the seventh in a series of monthly pincushions. Check back each month for another fun design!)
- 2 -- 5-1/2" squares of blue fabric
- 1 -- 3-1/2" square of star fabric
- 1 --3" square of lightweight fusible web
- Polyester fiberfill
- Star template (get the pattern below)
Finished pincushion: 5" square
Prepare Star Appliqué:
The star pattern is in the downloadable PDF above. For a detailed guide for using fusible web with pattern shapes, see our blog here or watch the video below.
1. Lay 3" square fusible web, paper side up, over star pattern. Use a pencil or pen to trace the star pattern.
2. Following manufacturer’s instructions, press the fusible web star shape onto 3-1/2" square star fabric.
3. Let cool, then cut out fabric shapes on drawn lines.
Appliqué the Pincushion:
1. Peel off the paper backing of star shape.
2. Arrange star shape on one blue 5-1/2" square. Fuse appliqué in place following the manufacturer’s directions; let cool.
3. Using a blanket-stitch on your machine sew around star shape with matching thread. For more information on using a blanket-stitch, see the video below.
Assemble the Pincushion:
1. Layer appliquéd square and remaining blue print 5-1/2" square with right sides together; pin.
2. Beginning in the middle of one edge, sew together pieces with a 1/4" seam. Pivot at each corner. Leave a 1-1/2" opening for turning along one edge.
3. Turn right side out. Use the eraser end of a pencil to push out corners; press. Use a pencil to gently push small tufts of fiberfill through the 1-1/2" opening. Using a needle and thread to match fabric, hand-sew opening closed to complete pincushion. See how to sew the opening closed here.