Silly Felt Pumpkins
Felt pumpkins with decorative stitches and button embellishments make the perfect friendly fall decoration.
- An assortment of buttons
- Embroidery floss
- Polyester fiberfill
Assemble the Pumpkin:
1. Download the pumpkin patterns below. We have patterns for the three pumpkins shown. We'll be giving instructions using the orange pumpkin, but the same instructions apply for all pumpkins.
2. Cut out and pin the pumpkin pattern to the felt. Cut out the pumpkin shape. Get tips for pinning and cutting with patterns here.
3. Cut out a second pumpkin shape. These are the front and back of your pumpkin.
4. Cut out and pin the mouth pattern to the felt. Cut out the mouth shape.
5. Pin the felt mouth to one felt pumpkin shape.
6. Use contrasting embroidery floss to backstitch a line down the middle of the mouth. (See how to backstitch here.)
7. Place a button on second color of felt. Use a sharpie to trace around the button with an extra 1/8" all the way around. Cut out the circle.
8. Arrange the felt circle and two buttons on the pumpkin's face for eyes. Use contrasting thread and sew the buttons in place. (See how to sew on a button here.)
9. Layer the two pumpkin shapes on top of each other with the pumpkin's face facing inside.
10. Whipstitch the pumpkin shapes together using a 1/4" seam allowance leaving a three inch opening for turning. Leave about 5" of embroidery floss at the end to close the opening after stuffing.
11. Turn the pumpkin right side out. Stuff with fiberfill.
12. Finish whipstitching the pumpkin closed. Tie a knot to hold embroidery floss in place.