Cozy Hand Warmers
Fabrics: Mount Snow by Dear Stella
Warm cold digits in the winter with cute hand warmers! If you're giving them as a gift, print our free gift tag below.
Materials for One Hand Warmer
- 2 -- 3-1/2x4" rectangles of fabric
- Uncooked rice
Finished hand warmer: 3x3-1/2"
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Assemble Hand Warmer
1. Layer the rectangles with right sides (printed sides) together; pin.
2. Sew around the edges of rectangles, leaving a 2" opening on one side edge for turning.
TIP: To turn the corners easily, stop stitching when you are 1/4" from the end of a seam, leaving needle down in fabric. Lift machine's presser foot and turn fabric 90 degrees. Lower presser foot to sewing position and continue sewing.
3. Clip the corners to reduce bulk. Make sure not to clip the stitches.
4. Turn the sewn unit right side out. Push corners out using eraser end of a pencil. Press unit flat. Fill it with rice (we used approximately 1/4 cup).
5. Fold the side opening into the filled unit matching 1/4" seam allowance. Machine-stitch the opening closed to complete hand warmer.
6. Heat the hand warmer in a microwave oven for 15 seconds and use to warm fingers and toes. Or place them in the freezer for a cooling pack.
Love this project? Make patchwork coasters and coffee cozies using matching fabric! Click the pictures for the project instructions.