It All Adds Up Pillow
Fabrics: Basic Mixologie by Studio M for Moda Fabrics
No complicated equations are necessary to make this plus sign pillow!
- 5/8 yard of gray print
- 1/4 yard of turquoise print
- 14" square pillow form
Finished pillow: 14" square
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
From gray print, cut:
- 2— 9-1/2x14-1/2" rectangles
- 2—1-1/2x14-1/2" strips
- 2—1-1/2x12-1/2" strips
- 4—4-1/2" squares
From turquoise print, cut:
- 1—4-1/2x12-1/2" rectangle
- 2—4-1/2" squares
Assemble the Pillow:
1. Lay out four gray print 4-1/2" squares, two 4-1/2" turquoise squares, and one 4-1/2x12-1/2" rectangles in three rows.
2. Join the squares in the top and bottom rows. Press seams toward gray print.
3. Join the three rows together. Press seams toward the center row. The plus sign block should be 12-1/2" square including seam allowances.
4. Sew a 1-1/2x12-1/2" strip to opposite edges of plus sign block. Press seams toward center.
5. Add a 1-1/2x14-1/2" strip to remaining edges of block. Press seams toward center.
6. Turn under 1/4" along one long edge of each gray print 9-1/2x14-1/2" rectangle; press. Turn under same long edges 1/4" again; press. Topstitch folded edges to hem pillow back pieces.
7. Overlap hemmed edges of pillow back pieces about 3-1/2" to make a 14-1/2" square; pin in place. Stitch across overlaps to make pillow back.
8. Layer pillow top and pillow back with right sides together. Stitch around all edges to make pillow cover. Clip corners to just outside seam allowance to prevent bulk.
9. Turn right side out through opening in pillow back; press. Insert 14"-square pillow form to complete pillow.
This pattern is part of the American Patchwork & Quilting third annual quiltalong. Choose from this pillow pattern or any of the quilts pictured below. Start sewing and don't forget to post pictures to Instagram and Facebook using #APQQuiltalong so we can see your progress! See more details here.
Pictured: Easy Addition from Quilts and More Spring 2016, and Postage Plus and Grand Total both from American Patchwork & Quilting April 2016